Monday, September 17, 2012

Recipe Time: Philly French Dip

So, on Saturday afternoon I had a hankerin' --- that's right... a hankerin' for a French dip.... Then I realized I really wanted a Philly cheesesteak sandwich with sauteed onions and mushrooms under a bunch of mozzarella cheese. But I really wanted a French dip so I could dunk my sammy in the au jus.  Then I realized it was four in the afternoon so making a really good French dip takes hours....

I decided to play around in my kitchen and I created the prefecto sammich for me...

The Philly French Dip


Now, I have eaters in my house who don't like mushrooms and/or onions so everyone could basically create their own variation of the sammich.

Ingredients:

2 cans (10.5 oz) of beef consomme
1 1/2 cup of water
1 lb of sliced roast beef (I used thinly sliced beef from the deli)
1 medium sweet onion sliced
1 cup of mushrooms (or more depending on how many mushrooms you like)
2 tablespoons of butter
Sea-salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste
8 slices of mozzarella cheese
4 hoagie buns sliced in half

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Directions:

1) Melt two tablespoons of butter in a medium sized frying pan add sea-salt, garlic powder, and pepper to taste... add mushrooms and onions. Saute over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until tender.
2) Place sliced hoagies on baking sheet- opened up and ready to fill!
3) Combine beef consomme and water in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Add roast beef and cook in the liquid for 5 minutes. 
4) Place meat on hoagies and add sauteed mushrooms, onions and two slices of mozzarella cheese on each hoagie.
5) Bake in oven for 5 to 10 minutes (until cheese melts) and serve with a side of your own au jus (broth) to dip in.

Philly French dip served with fries on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment