While the kids and I were at the park the other day, they played a bit and I went through some old school cookbooks I had acquired from my grandmother. A few recipes looked absolutely delightful but they really needed some updating. The recipes were from the mid-1970s and so I took some time to “tweak” them and modernize them.
Last night was the first night I “experimented” on my poor family with some new and improved recipes from 1972.
“Puttin’ on the RITZ” Chicken Bake
6 chicken breasts cut in half
2 sleeves of Ritz crackers (I would suggest honey wheat or garlic---- we used honey wheat)
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste (I use sea salt)
Garlic powder to taste
2 tablespoons of Jonesy’z old time seasoning (can be found in the Cedar Rapids farmers market or online at www.jonesyz.com) or really any BBQ seasoning found in your local grocery store
2 tablespoons of original Magic Sauce (can be found locally at Hy-Vee or online at www.magic-sauce.com)
1) Pound out and tenderize chicken breasts, sprinkle tablespoon of Jonesy’z old time seasoning, pepper, garlic and 1 tablespoon of Magic Sauce over chicken and let marinade for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2) Preheat oven to 350
3) Beat two eggs in a shallow dish with the remaining tablespoon of Jonesy’z
4) Finely crush Ritz crackers and add into a second shallow dish
5) Dip each piece of chicken in egg mixture then dredge in cracker crumbs and place in a greased baking dish
6) Drizzle last tablespoon of Magic Sauce over top of chicken and bake for 1 hour