Thursday, August 23, 2012

Guess Who Had Homework Already?!?!

Now, I know it is only the first week of school... really it is the just the THIRD day and the first day was only a half day, but all of the kids have had homework except for Kennith.

ALL of the kids.

With Serina and Alex I assume they will have home work, they are in high school for cry eye... Alex had a lot of small projects to do, an "all about me" project for LA, and Spanish.

But when Maddy brought her "homework" folder home and an assignment in it, I about fell over. I am serious. My little 3 yr old pre-schooler had her first homework assignment tonight... And she had to work on it with her family. 

She was so proud to sit down and do it.  We printed off pictures, and cut out pictures in magazines and she colored her background.  Her assignment was:





And this is how it turned out:






All in all it was a fun project but I am so torn.  I know we put her in pre-school early because she will start kindergarten young (her birthday is in the middle of July), and we want her to have a head start, but this is just bitter sweet.  She is growing up.  She is my baby, and she isn't supposed to grow up that fast... But, she worked hard on her project (and so did mommy) and she is proud of the work she did. 

Note to self: take time to enjoy your kids.  They grow up so fast. One minute you are swaddling them and rocking them to sleep as a baby, the next time they are doing their first homework at THREE (again I am floored), then they are playing with their friends in the neighborhood and having fun, and then they are in high school getting prepared to go to their first football game of the year and planning on what to wear and who they are going to hang with at the game.  Soon, they will all be grown up and out of the house...

*DEEP SIGH* from this mama.  Gosh, I love these kids.  I want time to slow down just a moment so I can savor every moment and collect it in my box of memories. 

2 comments:

  1. oh look at how proud Miss Maddy looks.
    I have a soon to be 27 year old daughter and a son who turn 21 this past June. Time does fly. Now it time to turn the focus on me. That the hard part. It shouldn't be. You think it would be easy. When I shop still say wow that would great on my daughter, or man does my son need new socks. Lol lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, I don't think that "mommy" part of us EVER goes away, regardless of how old we are. I am 40 and when I go to my mama's house she always has a special goody for me. Last time it was metalic nail polish (knowing how much I love nail polish). I think we as mom's (regardless of how close or far away our children are)-we still long for them every day, think about them all the time, and want to always be that nurturer we were born to be. What is hard? They grow up... and they think for a while they don't need us like they did... I remember when I was in my mid 20s and I really thought I could do everything on my own and I didn't need my mom's advice or shoulder to cry on. It is a totally different story now. LOL I call my mom all the time and she is my sounding board for most of my major decisions in life. I went through a dark time where I didn't let her in, but as soon as I needed her she was there for me. I will never forget that, nor take that for granted ever again. So, I don't think that 'MOMMY' part of being a mother goes away. We always will see things we think our kids would like, and they will always occupy a large part of our heart. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete