Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Birthday, Alex!

Today is Wednesday, the middle of a very busy week!  I wanted to take time out and write about one of the most fantastic teens I know!

When Phillip and I reconnected, we both had children.  He has as step-son (I don't know a lot about him, but when I do see him he is polite and funny), a step-daughter (who he raised from the time she was a baby, so she is his in every sense of the word), and a daughter--- all teens, and grown up. While on the other hand I had two little ones, a son and a small toddler girl. When we decided to date- we both spent time thinking about how it would affect our kids, and we lived over 4 hours apart.  Meeting Alex and Serina (Phillip's girls) was awesome.  They are both wonderful teens, and any mom would be so honored and blessed to have them as children.  Really. I am not just typing that. I mean it. They are loving, giving, and funny.  They both are great role models for our younger kids.  AND they really are great with their younger step-siblings.  Even though it can be VERY hard deal with a cranky toddler or an 8 year old boy who knows everything, they are both amazing with Maddy and Kennith.

So, I write this being the blessed mom to this blended family with wonderful kids.  I don't know if I tell them enough how much I love them, or show them enough how much I care. Every day when they leave for school I tell them I love them... every night before bed I give them hugs (when wanted, lol) and tell them I love them.

There are special times where I can take a few minutes and remind them of how important they are in my life.  How lucky I am...And how lucky they are.  They have their momma who loves them so much and is always there for them, and they have me.  Two women who would "take a sword" for either of them. Who love them unconditionally and will be there by their side forever. I take this role very seriously.  I would never trade it for anything in the world, because they are my world.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... today is Alex's 15th birthday.  She is growing up, and even though she is becoming an amazing woman before my very eyes... I would like her to stay young for a little while longer. I just became a part of her life 2 years ago, and I want to hold onto her for as long as I can--while she is young. I didn't get to see any of her firsts as she was growing up, first step, first tooth, first crawl... but I am there today and forever. I get to share in the rest of her firsts.  And that is pretty powerful.

Being a parent or a step-parent doesn't come with a manual.  We have to make it up as we go- along the way we figure out what works and what doesn't. We use past experiences, and build from what our parents taught us (whether our parents were good or bad, we learned from them-- for the record, my parents were AWESOME growing up).  Being a parent doesn't mean we are perfect.  We definitely are not perfect, we make mistakes... learning from the mistakes is priceless.  Forgiving ourselves for the mistakes we make is necessary.  Don't forget to forgive yourself when you make mistakes. Now, I hear my grandmother (the grandma who LOVED Jesus with her every fiber, and taught me so much) in my head... God forgave everyone. Hum... I am so not better than God, so I should take that into consideration. Have a great Wednesday!  Think about the blessings around you… even the small ones (like 70 degree weather in the middle of March).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my precious ALEX!  You are an amazing young woman! I love you muchly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment