Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cheesy Slow Cooker Chicken

So, the other day, I had NOTHING taken out of the freezer for dinner, and I had to have SOMETHING for everyone to eat, because everyone would be home, and I had to go to a Relay meeting at 5:30...They can't eat cereal or cheese sticks, right?  So, I tried out something in my slow cooker and it turned out AH-MAZING! 

Personally when I do this (forget to get something ready for dinner) it is easier to just order pizza or run to the nearest fast food place, but with the kids and Phillip and I, even a trip to Wendy's costs around $30... we try NOT to eat at fast food places and we do try to cook a lot at home.  So, the slow cooker is my cooking BFF.  (Best Fix-it Friend)... lol  Anyway, the money we save by eating at home when we could have grabbed a "quick" bite on the road gets saved in a jar for vacations.  Then we have extra spending money for our trip. Now, you would think it doesn't add up, but it does.  AND the kids LOVE IT! They get to see the results of their better eating habits. So it is a win-win! We eat better, and we save money, and my kids think its COOL. So maybe it is a win-win-win. LOL

ANYWAY, after my tangent... Here is my recipe!

* 4 frozen chicken breasts
* 1 1/2 cup chicken broth (or combo broth and water)
* 1 can of cheddar cheese soup (I used the low fat one)
* Garlic, salt, pepper to taste

In a slow cooker, place the broth and cheddar cheese soup in, and stir--- add garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.  Add chicken.  Leave in slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours (I did 8 hours). 

It was good!  AND, we used some of the cheese broth in our potatoes when we made the smashed potatoes as a side and it was delicious!  The chicken turned out nice and tender... EVEN my 2 year old ate it and SHE NEVER eats meat!

I wish I had taken a picture, but by the time I got home from my meeting, it was put away and my kitchen was cleaned up. Which I am SO thankful for! My hubby rocks.

1 comment:

  1. Lynne, that is a great idea with the crock pot! I so have to try it! You can cool just about any meat in the crockpot from raw. I always, ALWAYS end up throwing SOMETHING in the crock pot a few times a week, because I forgot to thaw out something for dinner. My husband makes a fabulous pasta in the crock pot! I am going to try that soup! THANKS BUNCHES!

    ReplyDelete