Monday, November 25, 2013

Hey... Guess WHAT????

It is really OK to laugh.  Laugh at others, laugh at yourself... laugh with others AT yourself...

It is OK to laugh.  Sometimes as adults we forget to laugh, even if we want to cry.

"A merry heart does good like a medicine..."

EVEN WebMD says laugher is good for your health, and if WebMD says it you KNOW its gotta be true.

So, I BE SPEAKIN' THE TRUTH HERE PEOPLE....

I don't know if it is a sense of humor, the laugh itself, or the situation but by laughing it causes your endorphins to rise.  In church yesterday our pastor preached on love and a personal relationship with God... one of the things he talked about... LAUGHTER.

God says, "If you really love ME you would be happy."

WOW. Listen to the power in those words.  Be happy.  Laugh more.  Laughter is contagious.

My job is very stressful... and I make it a point to LAUGH with my students in class.  I want them to relax and be happy while learning this new world of financial mumbo-jumbo.  I have a very high success rate with this, why? I don't know... maybe we take the scary test and we turn it into something we can laugh with... the endorphins kick in and they remember the information...

According to WebMD (the know all of all medical researching stuff online, HOLLAH and a shout out) --
"We change physiologically when we laugh. We stretch muscles throughout our face and body, our pulse and blood pressure go up, and we breathe faster, sending more oxygen to our tissues."

I like the idea that my body will send more oxygen to my tissues and my muscles will stretch.  This to me is an amazing side benefit of laughter. YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE?  Once you start laughing, it becomes a habit and you will keep laughing.  The more you laugh, they happier you will feel. 

Think about the joy of your children.... their carefree spirit, and how they can just be in the moment.  They laugh from the very gut and its this deep belly laugh.  Are you like me? Do you sit there and look at your child with amazement wanting to know HOW do I get a laugh like that?  How long has it been for you?  When is the last time you laugh so hard you cried or snorted? (I am a HUGE snorter...)

Statistics:
* A child laughs on average 400 times a day
* An adult laughs on average 15 times a day

Statistics are scary.  We sit here and wonder why our kids are so full of joy and they rebound so well.  Maybe it is because of how much they enjoy their life and they LAUGH!

So next time, when your child gets the giggles... start laughing with them. It may feel forced in the beginning, but you just need the practice.  Eventually it will not be forced... and you-- my friend-- will laugh more than 15 times a day. AND methinks you will start to feel happier.  YOU will find your inner giggler.

“The most radical act anyone can commit is to be happy.” - Patch Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment