Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Recipe time! Blueberry Quinoa Salad

This is one of my favorite recipes and it is very light and healthy.  Even my little ones like it, because it is a "flavor explosion" according to Kennith, my 8 year old.

Blueberry Quinoa Salad

serves 8

1 cup quinoa (grain like couscous or bulgar)
2 cups water
salt to taste
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
4 oz reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper (i had to use green, all I had)
1/4 to 1/3 cup of Wishbone Raspberry Hazelnut dressing

1) For the salad, in a heavy saute pan, toast the quinoa on medium high heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes

2) Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water to boiling, then carefully pour water into the quinoa. Add salt to taste; cover, reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes. transfer quinoa to a large bowl; let cool.

3) Add blueberries, feta cheese, walnuts, parsley and bell pepper; mix gently. Drizzle dressing over salad; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

Picture below, and not great quality since i just took it in my office while teaching. LOL

2 comments:

  1. I love this one too! It is one of my favorites, and CHUCK for of protein!!! AND GOODNESS. :)

    ReplyDelete