Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Talk to Remember

Today marks the 12th anniversary of 9/11/01.  I cannot believe it has been 12 years since that very day.

For a lot of you who know me, you know that I can close my eyes and see it, hear it... even smell it. For all of us who remember ---we remember where we were, who we were with, even some of us remember what we were wearing, or what we had with us. I was wearing a grey dress, and I had my family scrapbook to show to my works friends...

Today as the 9/11 footage came on the morning talk show, I decided that this would be a good time to talk with my 9 year old about the day... and more importantly, about my story.

He and I talked about terrorists, who they were, why they did it, and that even though they did it in the name of their religion, their religion doesn't practice that kind of cruelty or hate.  He understood...

He started to get sad for all of the people who died and their kids... and then he cried... I cried, and we just held each other...

AND THEN...


we talked about 9/11 miracle stories... you know, the ones of the people who were supposed to be there but they had a freak accident.  Like the chef at Windows of the World who broke his glasses and ran down to the mall in the basement to get them fixed... Like the employee whose daughter started kindergarten that day, so he took the morning off... a lady who worked on the 74th floor who got delayed at the cosmetic counter in the basement... the couple who stopped to shop at the outdoor market for fresh baked goods... about a random train that stopped dead in its track because a crow flew into the electrical part and stopped it...

I told my son, on that day a tragedy occurred, but there were also mini-miracles. Lives spared without thought... and hard to explain or even fully comprehend the WHY part, even 12 years after... There have to be reasons why these people lived... why they were spared.

He said, "I know.. to do good things." I said, "Yes.  To do great and wonderful things..."

I then told him about my experience on 9/11... where his dad was, when we finally found each other... the fact that I cried for days and days afterwards.  I told him that I knew it was going to be ok because after it happened all I could do was start singing to God... my kind of prayer... and as I sang, I felt more confident that He was protecting us.

Some people may not believe in God... they may not know that blessings and miracles happen every day.  My life is one of those miracles.... MY KIDS are miracles.  I truly believe that I was protected that day and pulled out of harms way, and NOT by accident.  When you walk by faith (and not by sight can I get an AMEN) you walk in His love, His protection... You walk in positivity.

Today I remember those we lost... I celebrate my life... I never will forget or take it for granted.  I celebrate having a child with a compassionate heart... I celebrate the fact that I get another day on this Earth...

So, silly as it sounds... Being a person on the train that got taken out by a crow on 9/11... I got a tattoo a few weeks ago as a symbol of my gratitude... Here it is!  A cross with the wings of a crow setting it free...




2 comments:

  1. Or the client that had called at 5:25pm the day before and cancelled my appointment on 9/11 to come talk to them (in the north tower on fl 87) about the performance that my firm did for his Hedge Fund... even though I wasn't his contact, but I was the only one at my company who understood performance...

    ReplyDelete